Today I want to share my favourite knowledge audio. I just love listening to an audiobook while doing something manual and boring. Anything like cleaning, gardening, shopping or being stuck in traffic. If I have someone clever in the ears, I'm happy!
Having a reservoir of knowledge audio on your ipod transforms wastetime into an opportunity to hear someone passionately talking about something they're really good at.
It's slower than reading books, but then again, it's so much more compelling to hear something told by the author. When William Zinsser hammers through the sentences in his audiobook On Writing Well, you're not for one moment doubting, that he's passionate about writing!
I must admit to be a late adopter of podcasts. I think the problem was always finding quality stuff. I got into listening to audiobooks from day one, and along the way I have stumbled upon a couple of nice podcasts.
So for those of you, who haven't tried out this great source of information out yet, here's the top 10 sources on my audiobookshelf:
- On Writing Well Audiobook - By William Zinsser. Very brief and cheap. In 25 minutes Zinsser will teach you to be a better writer, applying the principles of clarity, brevity, simplicity and humanity. A true classic!
- Killer Innovations Podcast - By Phill McKinney. This is a podcast with loads of gold for creatives. Phill takes on a single subject like "High Performance Innovation Teams" or "Corporate corruption of innovation" and talks knowingly about it with lots of practical tips.
- Getting things Done - I bought the abridged version in itunes for something like 10$. My first intro to GTD. Hearing David Allen telling the tale himself was just so cool.
- Lean Thinking - This is the way i got started with LEAN. Actually I didn't think much of LEAN to start with, but I thought, that I could always get to know a little more by listening to an audiobook about it... and then it made perfect sense!
- Lifehack: Trial By Fire Productivity. This is a montly podcast, that slowly has been improving. It started out really tacky but the latest couple of shows has been really interesting interviews with people about their personal productivity system.
- Blue Ocean Strategy - A great book, and so nice to have it read aloud. Stop charging into head to head market battles armed with old assumptions about your industry!
- Inbox Zero - This is a talk made at the googleplex by Merlin Mann from 43folders on how to tackle your email and get to inbox zero. Very nice and funny too! This is a link to Merlins odeo-channel. Check out his Productive Talk series to.
- Play Spirit and Character! - A remarkable interview with Stuart Brown about the importance of playing
- The Big Moo - How to be remarkable. A 2 hours pep talk read by Seth Godin, and cowritten by a busload of remarkable people.
- The 8th habit - By Stephen Covey. This is another example of how my more impacting a book becomes when read aloud by an author who is passionate about his material.
So! A couple of podcasts and a handful of audiobook titles. I hope some of you will find as much enjoyment in having knowledge audio in your pocket as I do. Please share some of your own by commenting.
- Jens Poder